Teachers, school administrators, and non-teaching positions in NC school districts (LEAs) are employed by local boards of education but are paid on a state salary schedule based on a number of factors. In addition to the state salary, a local supplement may be provided by the school district. Some public school employees may also receive compensation, or longevity pay, for continuing service. Independent Public Schools (IPS - charter schools, lab schools, and regional schools) may follow the state salary schedules or determine their own.
Certified Educator Salary Schedules include teachers, certified instructional support and school based administrators. All certified educators working in Local Education Agencies (LEA) are required to be paid from the legislated salary schedule. This schedule is approved annually by the general assembly and sets a minimum pay based on the educators years of experience and education level. As a supplement to these monthly amounts, a LEA may approve additional funds to the educator to account for variances such as geographic location, market conditions or school demographics.
Salary schedules and daily rates for state legislated certified salaries, and salary ranges for non-certified personnel.
2023-2024 Salary Schedules Updated October 5, 2023 at 2:30pm
- 2022-2023 Salary Schedules
- 2021-2022 Salary Schedules
- 2020-2021 Salary Schedules
- 2019-2020 Salary Schedules
- 2018-2019 Salary Schedules
- 2017-2018 Salary Schedules
- 2016-2017 Salary Schedules
Local Salary Supplement data is available in the Statistical Profile.
Continuation Budget Salary Schedules 2023-2024 - Educator Salaries
G.S. 143C-5-4 provides the legislation on operating without a ratified budget. Per this statute, certified educators are required to be paid at the same level as the 2022-23 State Salary Schedules. LEAs are to use this Continuation Salary Schedules for Educators who received the bump in experience for FY2022-23. Educators who did not receive the bump in years of experience for FY2022-23 shall be paid based on the 2022-23 Salary Schedule.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact a salary analyst.
FAQs for 2023-24
- PRC071 Supplement Funds for Teacher Compensation November 15, 2023
- FAQ PRC071 - Guidance for Supplemental Funds for Teacher Compensation November 17, 2023
The following bonuses are legislated in the session law and may change from year to year.
- Advanced Course Teacher Legislated Bonuses - AP, IB, AICE
- Teacher Legislated Performance Bonuses in Reading and Math - updated January 17, 2023
- Industry Certifications and Credentials Teacher Bonuses - CTE
- 2022-23 Principals Legislated Bonus FAQ
- FAQ for Principal Salary
- FAQ for non-certified salary updated July 14, 2022
- FAQ PRC 071 - Guidance for Supplemental Funds for Teacher Compensation
- Teacher Compensation Guidance for Read to Achieve Summer Reading Camps May 13, 2022
- Small County and Low Wealth Signing Bonus FAQs April 8, 2022
- FAQs for COVID Funds
- FAQ Pertaining to Compensation Items in SL 2021-180 for Charter, Regional, and Lab Schools January 19, 2022
- Advanced Course Teacher Legislated Bonuses FAQ January 20, 2022
- Industry Certifications and Credentials Teacher Bonuses FAQ January 19, 2022
- Bonus Grid January 11, 2022
- General Salary FAQ December 16, 2021
- Salary Increase & Retroactive Salary Bonus FAQ December 16, 2021
- FAQ for $300 Teacher Bonus
- Clarification on Retirement Monitor Announcement from December 9, 2021
- 2019-20 Principals and Teachers Bonus Summary
- 2019-20 Teacher Performance - 3rd Grade Reading
- 2019-20 Teacher Performance - Industry Certifications and Credentials
- 2019-20 Teacher Performance - Advanced Course (AP, IB, AICE)
- 2019-20 Teacher Performance - 4-5 Grade Reading and 4-8 Grade Math
- 2019-20 Principal Performance Bonus - Eligible Schools
State Funded Recruitment Supplements
The following are the recruitment supplements funded at the State level. Public school units may have their own additional local initiatives.
Principal Recruitment Supplement
Highly Qualified Teaching Graduates
- HQ Teaching Graduates FAQ
- Eligible Courses and License Areas
- Low Performing Schools
The State Salary Manual contains complete legislative salary information and State Board of Education salary policies.
- 2022-23 NC Public School Personnel State Salary Manual
- 2021-22 NC Public School Personnel State Salary Manual
- 2020-21 NC Public School Personnel State Salary Manual
- Attachment "A" - List of budget codes and their required licensure areas for salary calculation purposes. This is used by administrative staff in the LEAs for coding personnel in the school systems. The Attach A is online with the Uniform Chart of Accounts documents.