Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission
North Carolina is a proud member of the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children. North Carolina is committed to the education of the children of our military service members while their home is in our state.
The North Carolina State Council for the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children (state council) was formed to support easing transitions for children of military families as they move between states due to their sponsor’s military service. Frequent moves and deployments are hallmarks of the last decade and more of service in our nation’s military.
North Carolina was the 11th state signatory of the Interstate Compact as it entered into the compact on August 7, 2008.
North Carolina State Council
According to §115C-407.5 Article VIII of North Carolina Statute, the state council is composed of a compact commissioner appointed by the governor, the state Superintendent of Public Instruction, a superintendent of a school district with a high concentration of military-connected children, a representative from a military installation, a representative from the House of Representatives, a representative from the Senate. Additionally, a military family education liaison as well as other members may be added to the council with the approval of the council.
- Mrs. Catherine Truitt, Superintendent of Public Instruction – Angie Mullennix (Superintendent’s Designee)
- Mr. Nickolas Sojka, Commissioner (Executive Branch Appointment)
- Mr. Donnie Loftis, Chairman (Senate Appointment)
- Rep. John Szoka (House of Representatives Appointment)
- Dr. Rob Jackson, Superintendent, Buncombe County Schools
- Jamie Livengood, Student & Family Support Coordinator, Wayne County Public Schools
Other Organizations that typically attend and support the state council are:
- Mrs. Shevelle Godwin & Mrs. Iris Pierce, Fort Bragg School Liaison Office
- Mrs. Julie Fulton & Ms. Shannon Washburn, Camp Lejeune School Liaison Office
- Mrs. Leafa Palmer, MCAS Cherry Point, School Liaison Office
- Ms. Zakira Rich (Cumberland)
- Ms. Danielle Merrell (Onslow)
- Mrs. Valarie Nasser, Craven County Schools, Military Liaison Counselor
- Ms. Erica Funk (Moore)
- Ms. Kristi Wagner (NCNG)
- Mrs. Kelly Jackson, DMVA Family Coordinator
- Dr. Angie Mullennix, Director of Innovative Practices and Programs / State Liaison
- Mr. Howard Lattimore, Office of Innovation, State Military Consultant
Meetings are held at different locations depending on availability. Typically, at the NC Department of Public Instruction. The next meeting will be held on Wednesday, March 15, from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., in Room 755, Education Building, 301 N. Wilmington, Raleigh, NC.
The agenda for the March 15th meeting can be found via this link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w_PF6znbdit_v9XzqbGKPI0-yhdRC2jlsl6HHwAU2Nw/edit
For members of the public interested in attending: Please email: Angie.Mullennix@dpi.nc.gov to determine next meeting date and location.