Application and Selection Process
Students go through a local and state nomination process. Students are selected locally at the district-level or at the school level, if at a charter or non-public school. Each district/school has its own process to determine nominees for NCDPI at the state level.
If a student is interested in applying to attend the NC Governor's Schools, contact a local school official (e.g. Local Coordinator, school counselor, AIG specialist, etc.) to inquire about local processes. Applications do not come directly to the state office.
State-level nominations for the 2023 session are due by Friday, December 16, 2022.
- September 2022: Applications are released to Governor’s School Coordinators.
- November﹣December 2022: Local deadlines for local selection process. Check with your school counselor later in the Fall for the dates of this deadline.
- December 16, 2022: State deadline for local nominations from all districts, charters and non﹣public schools.
- Early March: Selection notifications are sent to Governor’s School Coordinators to distribute.
- April 2023: Selected students will notify the NC Department of Public Instruction of their decision to accept or decline the invitation to attend the NC Governor’s School.
- June 18, 2023 (likely): Students arrive for the first day of the NC Governor’s School Session.
- July 15, 2023 (likely): Final day of the NC Governor’s School Session.