Visit the Directors’ Workshops page to register for workshops and webinars and to access a multitude of teaching resources.
WORKSHOPS AND WEBINARS
To register and learn more about the programs, visit the Directors' Workshops page and contact workshop directors.
FALL 2023 Programs
- October 19, 2023, 8-4, in-person conference, Winston-Salem. The Gizella Abramson Teaching the Holocaust Conference – West. Education Bldg., Winston-Salem Forsyth County Schools. ELA and Social Studies teachers from grades 6-12 will hear from a Holocaust survivor, learn from experts in the field, experience hands-on lessons, and explore resources for teaching the Holocaust.
- October 26, 2023, 7-8 pm. The Gizella Abramson Webinar Series: A Conversation with a Holocaust Survivor: Alexander “Lex” Silbiger. Teachers will hear Lex share his Holocaust testimony of life under Nazi occupation, his attempts to seek asylum, and his refugee experiences which brought him the United States and North Carolina.
- November 2, 2023, 7-8:00 pm. The Gizella Abramson Webinar Series: A Conversation with Rabbi Charlie Cytron-Walker. Teachers will hear Rabbi Cytron-Walker share his experience of being held hostage with members of his congregation in his synagogue in Colleyville, Texas in January 2022 by an antisemitic gunman. Learn about their escape and the lessons we can all learn from this shared experience.
- November 15, 2023, 8-4, in-person conference, Harnett County. The Gizella Abramson Teaching the Holocaust Conference– East. ELA and Social Studies teachers from grades 6-12 will hear from a Holocaust survivor, learn from experts in the field, experience hands-on lessons, and explore resources for teaching the Holocaust.
Interested in hosting a Holocaust workshop for teachers in your district? Visit our FAQs page.
Holocaust Council workshops
- "Holocaust education could address rising hate crimes, " Pitt County (2018)
- "Holocaust survivor educates local teachers, " Pitt County (2018)
- "Workshop aims to help educators teach about the Holocaust," Lenoir County, with video (2017)
- "Concentration camp survivor teaches Craven County educators about Holocaust," Craven County (2017)
- "Survivor tells teachers his Holocaust story," Surry County (2016)
Other survivor presentations
See Speakers and Survivors for referrals to survivors who will speak to students and other groups.
- “‘I lived through this part of history’: NC Holocaust survivors share the importance of learning history,” (Raleigh, 2023)
- “Triangle teacher carries on Holocaust survivor’s legacy by continuing to tell his story,” (Durham County, 2021)
- "Holocaust survivor [Zev Harel] shares experiences with Fort Bragg Community," Cumberland County (2019)
- "Holocaust survivor [Abe Piasek] uses hospital stay to tell personal story,” Wake County (2019)
- "A story worth repeating: Holocaust survivor Renée Fink,” The State of Things, WUNC-FM (2019)
- "Holocaust survivor [Shelly Weiner] speaks about experience, indifference to injustice,” Johnson City, Tennessee (2019)
- "Holocaust survivor speaks at Reidsville High, RCC [Zev Harel]," Rockingham County (2016)
- "Holocaust survivor says ‘learn to love’ [Gizella Abramson]," Carteret County (2008)