The Afterschool Snack Program (ASSP) is an extension of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and may be administered by participating School Food Authorities (SFAs).
Under the NSLP, the SFA may administer an afterschool care program which provides children with regularly scheduled activities in an organized, structured, and supervised environment; and includes educational or enrichment activities. Providing snacks for afterschool programs is a great opportunity to help students practice healthy eating, assist adults in promoting a healthy eating environment, and strengthen the role of FNS as a partner in education as well as health.
- Nationwide Waiver of Area Eligibility in the Afterschool Programs and for Family Day Care Home Providers in School Year 2021-2022
- After School Snack Program Guidance
- ASSP Frequently Asked Questions
- ASSP Meal Pattern
- Checklist for Qualifying an After School Snack Program (ASSP)
- ASSP Production Record with Instructions
- ASSP Onsite Review Form