Please note: The terms on this page may alternate between "English Learner" (EL) and "Multilingual Learner" (ML). As of March 21, 2022, NCDPI shifted to using "English Learner" for policy and legislation purposes and "Multilingual Learner" for all other purposes. See this letter or watch this video for more details.
NCDPI Multilingual Learner/Title III Team
The NCDPI ML/Title III Team's vision is to grow the success of multilingual learners (MLs) by sustaining statewide implementation of the ELD Standards, ensuring program compliance, and coordinating efforts, resources, and professional learning to build stakeholder capacity.
The team has three focus areas to assist all Public School Units (PSUs):
- Provide guidance for EL headcount and Immigrant headcount data collection and reporting.
- Cross-collaborate with the Office of Accountability and Testing to support school districts during ACCESS testing and EL subgroup data analysis.
- Provide leadership for the development, enhancement, assessment, and maintenance of standards implementation at the K-12 level with special emphasis on ELD.
- Coordinate professional learning opportunities for all teachers and school administrators to raise performance outcomes in all content areas for students identified as MLs.
- Cross-collaborate with the Office of Federal Programs to assist school districts in the Cross-Program Monitoring process.
- Cross-collaborate with the Office of Charter Schools to support school districts in the Performance Framework process.
- Develop appropriate resources and provide technical assistance and training to local directors and others involved in the design and implementation of their basic and supplemental Language Instruction Educational Program (LIEP).