As Article 9B (N.C.G.S. § 115C-150.5) legislates, the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI) sets the guidelines for school districts and charter schools to develop their local AIG plans. The NC AIG Program Standards (SBE Policy ACIG-000) will continue to serve as the principle guidelines for the local AIG program development and update of local AIG plans for 2022-2025.
In addition, Article 9B mandates that local plans for serving gifted learners must remain in effect for no more than three years. As such, during the 2021-2022 school year, all districts and participating charters will revise local AIG plans for the upcoming three year cycle.
Over the last decade, our state has focused on the strategic development of gifted programs and services that support the optimal growth of our gifted learners. It is our goal with the local AIG plans of 2022-2025 to focus on Equity and Excellence by increasing access and opportunities while also increasing achievement and growth so that students can thrive.
NC DPI has developed the following support materials to be used, in conjunction with, the NC AIG Program Standards:
- NEW: Local AIG Plan Final Submission Checklist
- AIG Coordinators' Fall Institute presentation (2021)
- Overview of NC Local AIG Plan Update
- Unpacking of NC AIG Program Standards
- Recommended Local AIG Plan Revision Calendar
- LEA Self-Assessment Tool for Local AIG Program
- 2022-2025 Local AIG Plan Development Planning document
- Overview - Changes to NC AIG Program Standards document
- Sample stakeholder surveys
- Certified Staff Survey (MS Word)
- Certified Staff Survey (Google form)
- Classroom Teacher Survey (MS Word)
- Classroom Teacher Survey (Google form)
- Parent Survey (MS Word)
- Parent Survey (Google form)
- Student Survey (Elementary) (MS Word)
- Student Survey - Elementary (Google form)
- Student Survey (Secondary) (MS Word)
- Student Survey - Secondary (Google form)
In addition, there are many avenues to receive support as districts and charter schools develop and update the local AIG plan, including through:
- Professional Development events, led by Division of Advanced Learning and Gifted Education team including AIG Coordinator’s Institutes (Fall, Winter, & Spring), virtual monthly meetup sessions, designated office hours, and webinar series focused on understanding the NC AIG Program Standards.
- Feedback from previously submitted local AIG plans and any additional supporting documents with comments.
- AIG Regional meetings for AIG Coordinators facilitated by AIG Volunteer Regional Leaders
All LEAs and charter schools with current Local AIG plans, will submit newly revised plans to the State Board of Education (SBE)/DPI by Friday, July 15, 2022 for review and comment. As Article 9B legislates, this updated plan is approved by the LEA’s local board of education prior to submission to NC SBE/DPI for feedback.
*For those charter schools developing a local AIG plan for the first time, the deadline for submission will be October 15, 2022.
For additional questions, comments, or concerns, please contact your Division of Advanced Learning and Gifted Education staff for further information:
DPI State Consultants for AIG and Advanced Programs:
Beth Cross/ Beth.email@example.com / (984) 236-2739
Stephanie Cyrus / Stephanie.firstname.lastname@example.org / (984) 236-2742
The following are pre-recorded webinars to support coordinators in 'Unpacking the NC AIG Program Standards.' These short webinars provide an overview of each standard and a close examination of each practice, the changes and intent of the each practice, and strategies to support the effective implementation of the practice.
The team will also provide a LIVE webinar for each of the NC AIG Program Standards, according to the schedule below.
|Standard||Pre-recorded Link||Viewing Password||LIVE webinar date|
|Student Identification (1)||Standard 1 Unpacking Webinar||Unpacking1||November 9, 2021 (10-11)|
|Comprehensive Programming within the Total School Community (2)||Standard 2 Unpacking Webinar||Unpacking2||December 2, 2021 (10-11)|
|Differentiated Curriculum & Instruction (3)||Standard 3 Unpacking Webinar||Unpacking3||January 6, 2022 (10-11)|
|Personnel and Professional Development (4)||Standard 4 Unpacking Webinar||Unpacking4||January 20, 2022 (10-11)|
|Partnerships (5)||Standard 5 Unpacking Webinar||Unpacking5||February 10, 2022 (10-11)|
|Program Accountability (6)||Standard 6 Unpacking webinar||Unpacking6||October 7, 2021 (10-11)|
Additional Pre-Recorded Webinars & Resources:
Utilizing the NC CCIP system for submitting the Local AIG Plan
Access video here: https://youtu.be/GKaynLl99nI
Presenting your revised local AIG plan to your local board of education
Access video here: https://youtu.be/hgKYOoQYYkg